Thursday, December 17, 2009

Conversations With My Boys

Most days I leave work and pick up Joshua from preschool.  We then make our way to pick up Steven.  We go home for a while and if Papa is making dinner..which he usually does..I go get Michael from soccer practice.  I love the conversations we have during these times.  Here's how today went.


Joshua:
Can we stay and play with Jacob Mama?
No papa, we have to go get Steven.
I don't want to go get Steven.  He's not nice.
You love Steven.  He's your brother.
Is it Christmas today Mama?
Not yet papa, next week.
Is it my birthday?
No papa, your birthday is in May?
Is that tomorrow?
No.
Mama can we stop at Walgreen's and buy toys?
Not today.  We have to get ready for your program.
Ok.  Can we go home and get Steven tomorrow.
No.
Mama Steven interrupts me. (Interrupt is his new favorite word)

What does he do?
He interrupts me.

*We arrive at Steven's school.  I can see him but he is not seeing me so I honk a couple of times to get his attention.


Steven:
Hello Mother.
Hello Child.
Sorry I took a while.  I didn't see you.  The flow of traffic in the parking lot here is not good.  They should really do something about it.  It's really chaotic and us kids can't see the parents so it causes problems.  Maybe I should talk to Mr. Phelps (principal) about this.
You should.
I will.  That's one of my jobs as student council member.
You're right Steven.
*holding up an HEB receipt he finds in the seat....
I knew it!
Knew what?
I told my group in Math today that our sales tax is 8.125%.  They didn't believe me.  Can I keep this so I can show them tomorrow that I was right.
Sure Steven.
*Joshua asking me for something now..Steven says..wait Joshua I'm talking.
Mama Steven is interrupting me.
Mommy do you realize he uses that word all the time now and doesn't really understand what it means.  I didn't interrupt him.  He interrupted me.
I know Steven but he likes that word.  He'll figure it out.  He's 3.
But shouldn't you tell him he's using it wrong?  I tell him.  But you're the mother.  By the way Mommy since you forgot to order from my fundraiser I only had one order and was only given one prize.  A sticky hand.
Well you like sticky hands.
Yes I do but I could have won so many other things.
But you don't need anything.
Desire Mother.  I desire all these things!
Ok Steven.  Next year I'll order a bunch of pop corn and wrapping paper from you.  I promise. 
I bet if I was selling shoes you would buy all my merchandise.
If you ever have a shoe fundraiser I will be your #1 customer..promise.  


*We are now home and Joshua insist that Steven interrupted him and should be put on the naughty list.

Michael:
Hi Jellybean.
Hi.
How was your day?
Good.
How was practice?
It was good.  We had a scrimmage.
Why didn't you tell me?  We would have come to watch.
I know.
You don't want us to come?
Mommy you get loud sometimes.  Not in a bad way.  Just in a mom way.
What does that mean?
You get all excited.
Is that bad?
No.
I want to come next time.  you better tell me.
Ok.  Anyways I don't think the coach understands where to put us.
Why?
He put me on defense but I'm best as a forward.
Did you do ok on defense?
Yes because I'm not afraid to go up against bigger guys.
Maybe that's why he put you on defense for the scrimmage.  He's just getting to know you.  Have you talked to him?
Not yet and please don't email him.
I won't. So what else happened today?
I got a note.
What kind of note?
A girl saying she likes me..alot.
Well that's nice...right?
No it's not. I don't like her like that and she follows me around.
Have you told her?
I don't want to hurt her feelings.  I don't know what to say.
Tell her you just think of her as a friend.
That doesn't work Mommy.
You haven't even tried it.
She's in love with me or something.
It's because you're so cute and wear all that cologne.
*smiles*
Should I write her back or tell her in person?
In person. 
Ok.
You better do it.  Be honest. Don't make her think you like her if you don't.  Girls are sensitive.  
I know.  What are we having for dinner? Can I go to the movies on Sunday?

*We walk into the house where Papa is cooking dinner and Joshua is insisting that Steven is still interrupting him.  Steven is adamant that Joshua is confused about that word...and Michael asks if he can have two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while we wait for dinner.

 May seem like simple conversations but these are the moments when I get to know my boys.  When they let me into their day a little bit.  It's amazing how different the conversations are.  Joshua is little so our conversations are question answer format.  Steven always has something to share. Always.  I love it.  I have to question Michael and start our conversations.  Once he opens up he shares a lot with me.  I love these moments...when we are driving and having our mother/son conversations. I could drive forever with my boys in the car with me...telling me about their day.


2 comments:

  1. Reading this made me smile. Cherish those "driving" conversations with your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!!!! ohmygosh sara i couldnt stop laughing. joshua is so cute and random and steven sounds like a old man and micheal....is micheal :)

    and that is why i love all of you!!

    ReplyDelete