My 4th grade students have been learning about fossils. As weird as it sounds, when I was reading with the class that, fossils are the "footprints left by living things from long ago", I started thinking about my life. About the footprints I am leaving in my world. It led me to thinking about the legacy I am leaving for my boys. I am realistic and aware that as a teacher I will not be leaving a legacy of wealth or fame. So I started wondering what my legacy will be. Not long after the fossil/footprint connection I read this quote from Billy Graham:
“Our days are numbered. One of the primary goals in our lives should be to prepare for our last day. The legacy we leave is not just in our possessions, but in the quality of our lives. What preparations should we be making now? The greatest waste in all of our earth, which cannot be recycled or reclaimed, is our waste of the time that God has given us each day.”
This quote gave me hope that although I am not leaving a million dollars, I may be leaving a million memories. That is what my parents have done for me. Most of my memories of my parents revolve around church and faith. I can clearly remember the sound of my mother praying every night. I could hear her asking God to keep us safe, to help us make good choices. It was always such a comforting sound. My memories of my dad are of a man I've always considered a man of God. Their legacy of hard work, love, and steadfast faith in God is and will always be my foundation. No matter what I am going through I feel that if my parents are praying for me God is sure to help me.
I hope my boys will have good memories of their childhood and their lives as a whole. I have a feeling they will remember a lot of laughing, horsing around, and being silly. I know that they will never rush home from college to have my home cooked meals. My cooking is definitely not a legacy I am leaving. However, I hope they will want to come home to spend time with me, to laugh, and to just be. I hope the person they see in me is one who is accepting of others without prejudice. A mother who is willing to fight the scariest of battles for their safety and happiness. I am inspired by the fossils lesson and the quote from Billy Graham to do what I can each day to make memories and to build a legacy of love by not wasting even a minute I have to spend with my precious boys. I hope I do a good job of leaving footprints they would want to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment