It's apparently "Flashback Week" on Facebook. I decided to post this picture. I was in the 5th grade at La Casita Elementary in Clovis, NM. I had only been in the US for about a year and was not yet fluent in English. I look at this picture and think about my mom. She got up every morning and combed our hair..yes even in 5th grade. {There's another story about what happened in 6th grade when I started doing my own hair..that will require it's own post}. I can't even imagine having to do anybody else's hair every morning. I think that's why God gave me boys. He knew my girls would be looking crazy because I wouldn't have time in the morning to do their hair.
I remember this year because my mom's friend (Mrs. Martinez) was my teacher. She was tiny and very hyper. She always made sure to point out to the class how smart I was. This school year I was also in the Christmas program. We performed traditional Mexican dances. Somehow, despite the fact that there were boys available, I ended up with a girl as my partner. I think my dad may have had something to do with that. La Casita was a tiny school back then....it wasn't fancy...but I learned and had lots of fun there.
No comments:
Post a Comment